Improvement of competitiveness and innovation of the regional economy, as well as support of the scientific development, the co-operation between the field of science and economy, and promotion of the technological progress and innovations are the tasks of the local government. Management of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship has made a decision to join the contest, announced by the State Committee for Scientific Research (presently the Ministry of Science and Information Technology) to prepare a Regional Innovation Strategy, recognising the need for increasing the role of the regional government in stimulating the growth of innovation in the region. In February 2003, the Committee for Scientific Research gave a positive assessment of the “Application for the target project funding for the Regional Innovation Strategy of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship” submitted by the Podkarpackie Voivodeship. The target project of the Ministry of Science and Information Technology, titled the Regional Innovation Strategy for the Podkarpackie Voivodeship, was implemented from May 2003 until 31.12.2004.
The Ministry of Science and Information Technology has financed the research and development works carried out under this project, in the amount of PLN 250,000.00, while the rest of the tasks, in the amount of PLN 300,000.00, have been financed by the Government of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship. The Rzeszów University of Technology has also contributed PLN 5,742.00.
Management of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship has entrusted the project implementation to the Rzeszów University of Technology, the leader of the contractors. The consortium of contractors have also included the Rzeszów University, the College of Information Technology and Management in Rzeszów, the Regional Development Agency “MARR” S.A. and the Rzeszów Regional Development Agency S.A.
The main objective of the Regional Innovation Strategy.
The main objective of the project for the Regional Innovation Strategy of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship was to reach an agreement between economy, science and politics to create an effective regional innovation system. The idea was mainly to develop a solid system of co-operation mechanisms between these sectors. The effect of this agreement is the Regional Innovation Strategy, jointly developed by all the parties concerned which everyone can identify and pursue. Full acceptance of the regional innovation policy directions, objectives and tasks of the RIS was a very important element here.
Implementation of the Regional Innovation Strategy of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship
12.30.2004 The Assembly of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship has adopted the Regional Innovation Strategy of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship for the years 2005-2013 (Act No. XXXIII\369\04 of 12.30.2004). This strategic document of the Government of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship paves the way for the region to be transformed into an innovative region. It determines priorities and strategic objectives of the innovation policy in Podkarpackie Voivodeship. The use of the EU structural funds is facilitated through the development of the RIS. The condition for the financing of specific pro-innovation projects is to show that they are consistent with the Regional Innovation Strategy adopted by the Assembly of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship. This document was published in print, CDs and on the project website: www.rsi.podkarpackie.pl.
Another important measure is the constant promotion of the objectives and priorities of the Regional Innovation Strategy and to support projects consistent with it.
The key elements of the strategy implementation system structure are:
- The Assembly of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship – responsible for the formulation and implementation of the regional policy;
- The Council for Innovation of Podkarpacie;
- The Secretariat of the Council;
- The Management Committee as the executive body of the Council;
- Innovative Projects Database as a tool for monitoring the RIS;
- The Innovation Forum of Podkarpacie as a platform for regional dialogue in building a system of innovations of Podkarpacie, and
- The Six Panels of Strategic Goals.
So far, the Innovation Council of Podkarpacie has been established by the Resolution of the Management of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship in Rzeszów of 12 April 2005. It is a continuation established under the above target project of the Steering Committee for the RIS. It is a consultative and advisory body of the Management of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship.
The Innovation Council of Podkarpacie consists of a president, two deputies and 16 members (representatives of the economy, representatives of universities and research and development institutes, representatives of the regional and the governmental authorities, representatives of local governments, as well as individuals working in the field of innovation implementation in the region).
The tasks of the ICP are in particular:
- Co-operation with the Management of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship in the scope of:
- Supervision over the RIS implementation;
- The strategy implementation monitoring, including pilot projects;
- The strategy implementation progress;
- Strategic decisions related to the implementation of the RIS.
- Constant review and update of the strategy.
- Initiation of new projects that contribute to the growth of economic innovation in the region;
- Opinions on the applications related to innovation:
- submitted to the Integrated Operational Programme of Regional Development,
- submitted to the Sectoral Operational Programme – Improvement of the Competitiveness of Enterprises, for compliance of the presented initiative with the innovation strategy, for which recommendation of the Marshal is required or expected;
- Issuing an opinion to any other initiatives related to the increase of economic innovation of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship
- Opinions of the initiatives for which the Government of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship is obliged to take a position or make a recommendation;
- Establishment and maintenance of contacts with national and international regions, including Innovating Regions in Europe Network) and regions developing the Regional Innovation Strategies.
- Continuous promotion of the RIS and positive examples of innovative projects and support for interregional projects;
- Supporting the development of the innovation system of Podkarpacie, including co-operation with the Panels of Strategic Goals and the Innovation Forum of Podkarpacie.
An important instrument for the implementation of the Regional Innovation Strategy of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship is the measure 2.6 “Regional Innovation Strategies and knowledge transfer” of the Integrated Regional Operational Programme 2004-2006.
In the 2007 – 2013 period, the basic instrument for the implementation of the Regional Innovation Strategy will the system project of the Government of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship titled “Strengthening the institutional system of implementation of the Regional Innovation Strategy for 2007-2013 in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship” in the Submeasure 8.2.2. Regional Innovation Strategies Operational Programme Human Capital 2007-2013. The regional innovation system will be formed thanks to its implementation – a network of co-operation between entrepreneurs and scientists that will allow companies to innovate. This will improve the economic innovation of Podkarpacie and the international competitiveness of the region.
On February 25, 2008, the Assembly of the Podkarpackie Voivodeship adopted the resolution on implementation of this project.